Quantcast
 

Case study - how equipment helped Mr Jones

Mr Jones

Mr Jones had to ensure his living room was safe to use as a temporary bedroom and used telecare systems to manage fire and gas risks.

The challenge:

Mr Jones was recently discharged from hospital but couldn't manage the stairs so had to adapt his living room to use it as a bedroom. However he uses a gas fire in the room. The family have the fire serviced and ensured that it is compliant with fire safety regulations but, because Mr Jones sometimes gets confused as a side effect of the drugs he has been prescribed, they are anxious about Mr Jones' safety.

Possible solutions

The hospital discharge team worked with local social services occupational therapists to assess the situation. They recommended a telecare system which would enable Mr Jones to obtain help in an emergency and can automatically raise an alarm if there is a gas leak that Mr Jones is not aware of. The following equipment was supplied:

  1. A telecare control box which connects the system together and a personal alarm button which Mr Jones can press to summon help in an emergency.
  2. A telecare enabled carbon monoxide detector which will automatically trigger the alarm if it detects dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Dangerous carbon monoxide emissions may result from a blocked flue or a fault in a fuel burning appliance. Click here for more advice on carbon monoxide poisoning.
  3. A gas detector connected to a gas shut off valve which was fitted by a registered fitter (see the official list of registered gas businesses). The gas detector will provide a visual and audible alarm if Mr Jones leaves his gas fire on but unlit, or if there is a gas leak. It will also automatically cut off the gas supply to his gas fire via the gas shut off valve before it reaches dangerous levels. Click here for more advice on preventing gas being left on.
  4. A telecare enabled smoke detector which provides an audible alarm when smoke is detected in the home and alerts the monitoring centre so that Mr Jones can be contacted or the emergency services can be called. Click here for more advice on fire prevention

The outcome

Mr Jones slept downstairs in his living room for 6 months before his mobility improved and he moved back up stairs. Both Mr Jones and his family were reassured by the telecare system and it may have saved the day when Mr Jones hung his slippers to dry in front of the fire and his slippers started to smoulder. The fire alarm went off and alerted Mr Jones who managed to remove the slippers before they caught fire. The monitoring centre was also alerted and, via the control, spoke to Mr Jones who explained what had happened. Mr Jones is still wearing his personal alarm button on a daily basis.


To view the telecare equipment listed above click on the relevant pictures below:

 

Feedback
Top