Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a gas which has no smell, taste or colour. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of fuels including gas, oil, coal and wood used in boilers, gas fires, water heaters, solid fuel appliances and open fires. An orange rather than blue flame can sometimes be an indication that carbon monoxide is being produced. It is also produced by car engines so never leave a car running in a garage attached to your house even if the garage door is open.

Exposure to above recommended concentrations of carbon monoxide can quickly cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, convulsions and death.

Carbon monoxide detectors provide an immediate alarm when they detect dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. The alarm will sound in your home and your help centre will be alerted via the control box. To view telecare carbon monoxide detectors click on the picture below

To read a case study where a telecare carbon monoxide detector was used click on the picture below:

Case study:


If a telecare carbon monoxide detector is not installed as part of your telecare system you could still fit a standard carbon monoxide alarm which will sound an alarm if it detects carbon monoxide but these WILL NOT automatically alert your help centre.

In addition to having a carbon monoxide alarm ensure you have adequate ventilation.

Read more

All advice is either supported by references (cited in the text) or is based upon peer reviewed professional opinion. Our advice is impartial and not influenced by sponsors or product suppliers listed on the site.
Conflict of interest statement