Making complaints or reporting unsafe products

Have you experienced, or witnessed, an incident involving the safety of an item of daily living equipment?

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is the government agency responsible for ensuring that medical devices and medicines work and are acceptably safe. Their definition of 'Medical devices' includes devices used for assisting patients and users, thus many daily living aids such as bath lifts, commodes and walking sticks are medical devices. Any incident involving the safety of a medical device (including safety issues with its instructions for use) should be reported to the MHRA, especially if the incident contributed to, or could have caused injury, life-threatening illness or death.
Safety incidents involving medical devices can be reported via the MHRA website https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/medicines-and-healthcare-products-regulatory-agency or their Adverse incident centre 020 3080 7080

Do you need to complain about a product or service you bought from a company who is a member of the British Healthcare Trades Association (BHTA)?

The British Healthcare Trades Association (BHTA) is the UK's largest healthcare association. It has over 400 member companies comprising both large and small businesses across the healthcare industry. The products these companies make and supply are very varied including daily living aids, wheelchairs and scooters, stairlifts and seating.
Members of the BHTA sign up to a code of practice designed to ensure the public can trust that members will give a good service, and a high standard of behaviour. You can request a copy of the code of conduct from a member company or the BHTA. www.bhta.net

If you are not satisfied with a product or service from a BHTA member you should start by complaining to the company from whom you bought the product or service and see if the problem can be resolved. Write down who you speak to and the date, keep a copy of any letters. If you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint then the BHTA's complaints conciliation service attempts to resolve the issue without having to go to court. If conciliation attempts fail, independent adjudication (Arbitration) is available.

Anyone wishing to complain to the BHTA should write a letter detailing what occurred and enclose copies of any relevant paperwork to:
BHTA, New Loom House, Suite 4.06, 101 Back Church Lane, London E1 1LU or email: complaints@bhta.com

Do you need to complain about a product or service you bought from a company who is NOT a member of the British Healthcare Trades Association (BHTA)?

The company may belong to a different trade association, such as the Telecare Services Association (TSA) or the Lift and Escalator Industry Association (LEIA). If it does then you may be able to seek advice from that trade association and inform them of your experience.
If the company you wish to complain about is not a member of a trade association we recommend you consult the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. The Citizens Advice Consumer Service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues. The Citizens Advice Consumer Service website and the Citizens Advice Consumer Service helpline 0345 404 0506

All advice is either supported by references (cited in the text) or is based upon peer reviewed professional opinion. Our advice is impartial and not influenced by sponsors or product suppliers listed on the site.
Conflict of interest statement