Useful links - kitchen and household

This page provides links to organisations and forums for further advice and information relating to kitchen and household. Click on the links to open the web pages in a new browser window.

Age UK
Local Age UK (previously Age Concern & Help the Aged) charities offer a wide range of activities and services. Dependent on the size of your local branch it may offer information and advice; activities outside the home; emotional and social support; and personal care. Search for your local Age UK.

If you would like advice regarding issues with preparing food or using kitchen appliances you could try sections of AskSARA. AskSARA is the Disabled Living Foundation (DLF)'s free online self assessment tool. AskSARA will ask you questions about yourself and your environment (in this instance preparing food and drink, using kitchen appliances) and then offer relevant advice, product suggestions and supplier details.
- AskSARA's preparing food and drink section
- AskSARA's kitchen appliances section
- AskSARA's kitchen section if you require a range of other related topics.

The British Healthcare Trades Association (BHTA)
The BHTA is the UK's oldest and largest healthcare association. Its membership consists of some 350 companies (both large and small) from across the many non-pharmaceutical sectors of the healthcare industry. The BHTA is closely involved with developing industry and product standards, maintaining and improving on product choice, quality and, above all, safety. Of particular note is the BHTA's Code of Practice, which sets out the standards its members must meet and the work alongside this to identify best practice, eliminate "cowboy" behaviour and to ensure that member businesses are ones that members of the public can trust to give good service.

The Centre for Accessible Environments
The Centre for Accessible Environments (CAE) is a leading authority on inclusive design. They aim to help secure a built environment that is usable by everyone, including disabled and older people.

Charity Choice
Charity choice is a searchable directory of charities on the internet. These charities that may be able to assist with funding, or searching for funding for equipment. Eligibility criteria will vary.

The College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Independent Practice (previously known as OTIP)
If you are looking for a private practice Occupational Therapist to give you independent advice or to provide private treatment, you can search the online directory which lists members throughout the country.

Occupational Therapy
If you have a specific condition, disability or are noticing a physical decline as a result of the ageing process and require advice, equipment, or support with your rehabilitation, you may be able to access the services of an Occupational Therapist (OT) via the NHS or Social Services. If you are looking for a private practice OT to give you independent advice or to provide private treatment, you can search the online directory which lists members throughout the country.

Occupational Therapy aims to enable people to participate in the activities of everyday life (Reference: College of Occupational Therapists 19 March 2017).

Physiotherapists may be accessed directly or following a referral from a doctor or other health care professional. Physiotherapists, as well as OT’s working in the NHS have to be state registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). The HCPC is responsible for the conduct, performance and ethical behaviour of its registrants. Physiotherapists and OT’s who do not meet the standards of practice, conduct and behaviour required by the HCPC in order to be ‘fit to practice’ are removed ('struck off') from the HCPC register (Reference: Health and Care Professions Council, 2016)

Visit the HCPC website to check the registration status of a Physiotherapist or Occupational Therapist

If you are searching for a physiotherapist for private treatment in your local area make sure they are chartered and registered (Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, 3rd Jan 2009).(GOV.UK,2009).

Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (2014) Choose Chartered

The Good Housekeeping Research Institute
(GHRI) is the product-evaluation laboratory of the magazine, with a staff of scientists, engineers, nutritionists, and researchers dedicated to evaluating and testing everything from moisturizers to bed sheets to cell phones. The items are rated and include the pros and cons of each product. Although there is no specific mention of details for older or disabled people, if a person is looking for specific feature it could be a good place to look.

The Disabled Living Foundation's fact sheets
The DLF's free, impartial fact sheets provide general advice on topics such as features to look for when choosing items of equipment. For example, there is a fact sheet on choosing household equipment.

An independent consumer research charity providing free, practical and unbiased reports for older and disabled people.

RNIB Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) is the UK's leading charity for information, support and advice to do with sight loss. They have imaginative and practical solutions to everyday problems as well as selling a range of products some of which are listed on this website.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents is a registered charity established more than 90 years ago that aims to campaign for change, influence opinion, contribute to debate, educate and inform - for the good of all. By providing information, advice, resources and training, RoSPA is actively involved in the promotion of safety and the prevention of accidents in all areas of life - at work, in the home, on the roads, in schools, at leisure and on (or near) water.

Which? is the largest consumer body in the UK. It is a registered charity established for over 50 years. It provides independent advice and reviews on a wide range of topics. Some advice is free online but product reviews and other services are available by subscription. Reference libraries usually have copies of the monthly magazine. They have many relevant reviews particularly of kitchen appliances and some related reliability surveys.

Advice last checked: 20 April 2017 Next check due: 20 April 2020

All advice is either supported by references (cited in the text) or is based upon peer reviewed professional opinion. Our advice is impartial and not influenced by sponsors or product suppliers listed on the site.
Conflict of interest statement