Useful links and organisations - eating & drinking

This page provides links to other organisations providing further information, advice and services related to eating and drinking. Click on the name of the organisation to open the website in a new browser window.

Association for Rehabilitation of Communication and Oral Skills (ARCOS)
ARCOS is a national charity working with children and adults who have communication and eating (swallowing) difficulties, their families, carers and others involved. ARCOS provides information, advice, practical help, specialist therapy, training and other services that may not be readily available elsewhere.

Age UK
Local Age UK (previously Age Concern & Help the Aged) charities offer a wide range of activities and services. Dependent on the size of your local branch it may offer information and advice; activities outside the home; emotional and social support; and personal care. Search for your local Age UK branch.

AskSARA is the Disabled Living Foundation (DLF)'s free online self assessment tool. AskSARA will ask you questions about yourself and your environment and then offer relevant advice, product suggestions and supplier details. Visit AskSARA's eating and drinking section.

The British Healthcare Trades Association (BHTA)
The BHTA is the UK's oldest and largest healthcare association. Its membership consists of some 350 companies (both large and small) from across the many non-pharmaceutical sectors of the healthcare industry. The BHTA is closely involved with developing industry and product standards, maintaining and improving on product choice, quality and, above all, safety. Of particular note is the BHTA's Code of Practice, which sets out the standards its members must meet and the work alongside this to identify best practice, eliminate "cowboy" behaviour and to ensure that member businesses are ones that members of the public can trust to give good service.

The College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Independent Practice (previously known as OTIP)
If you are looking for a private practice Occupational Therapist to give you independent advice or to provide private treatment, you can search the online directory which lists members throughout the country.

Rica is an independent consumer research charity providing free, practical and unbiased reports for older and disabled people. There are a wide range of topics including information on new products and technology available.

Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) is the UK's leading charity for information, support and advice to do with sight loss. They have imaginative and practical solutions to everyday problems as well as selling a range of products some of which are listed on this website.

Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
The RCSLT is the professional body for speech and language therapists in the UK; providing leadership and setting professional standards. They facilitate and promote research into the field of speech and language therapy, promote better education and training of speech and language therapists and provide information for members and the public about speech and language therapy.

Advice last checked: 09 May 2017 Next check due: 09 May 2020

All advice is either supported by references (cited in the text) or is based upon peer reviewed professional opinion. Our advice is impartial and not influenced by sponsors or product suppliers listed on the site.
Conflict of interest statement